Custom Search

Monday, November 29, 2010

EDUCATION AND THE MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST

Becoming a medical transcriptionist is not a scam.  This is a wonderful career for stay at home mothers, people with health issues and others that live in places were getting to work is a headache.  I was able to move to Northern Ontario and I am still able to make a good living in my first year of employment.  I would not have been able to move away from a city centre if I did not have this career. I am thinking back to googling medical transcriptionist when I was considering going to school.  Information was hard to come by.  I hope I can guide some new students to take on this challenge of MTing. I am very happy with my wage and it is well earned through hard work and a solid year of education.  As a medical transcriptionist, I am always learning and the education does not stop. I am always trying to come up with ways to work faster, to put more into an expander to make more money, as money (sadly) is what equates to success. 

Like any job, you have to work hard for what you are paid.  If you don't work, you don't get paid. If you are a bit slower at typing, you have to find a way to improve your speed with the use of auto correct or other expanding technology.  You may have to study a bit harder so that those medical words are in your vocabulary and fly off of your fingers and onto the paper.  Make connections along the way.  Career Step has a forum and the best thing you can do is to join it and find some people that are in the same boat you are in, starting out.  I have a group of 23 or so FRIENDS that I connected with and we are all each others greatest supporters.  I also have some connections of FaceBook that I love to hear how they are doing and about their successes. 

I want those looking to start a career to think about medical transcriptionist.  There is a lot of fulfillment in a job well  done.  You will hear lots of horror stories about MTs not being able to find a job right out of school.  But then ask them how many resumes they have sent out.  Ask if there is a reason that may be holding them back from finding a job.  Maybe a new baby that envelops their spare time and energy or a job hunt for something with benefits and they want the MT position to be on a part time basis. The wage is low for some of the companies, but you have to learn how to increase your potential and gain the skills to think of different avenues to go down to succeed.  Don't be satisfied with the first company that hires you, demand better.  Find ways to find your own doctors and work on your own, keeping all the money and not sharing with someone that had the courage to find their own doctors to type for.  I am hoping that my silly blog can inspire some people to find a career that will fit into their lifestyle.  I hope that some ladies (and gentlemen too) step out of their comfort zone and try if that is what they want to do.  I hope that I can help with resume ideas and ways to find a job outside of the box. 

Career Step is a wonderful program and it is the one I am familiar with.  I want people that are thinking about becoming a medical transcriptionist is to take the plunge and try it out.  You have to be dedicated to doing a lot of hard work, but it is all doable and learnable and enjoyable.  If you think that this career is for you, give it a chance and join the world of MTs.  As I have said a lot of it is in the virtual world now, but MTs are still an important part of the medical team. 

This is just my experience and my little blog to give you some information that I could not find.  I would appreciate comments and I will answer you back to the best of my abilities.  Remember, this is just one person's ramblings, but I had a very positive experience with my education and I will be blogging about what the Career Step course entails and what to expect if you decide to take the course.  It is in your hands if you want to take a chance.  You may have to think outside the box to make a good living.  I am very content with mine, but of course, as is human nature, I would love to make more money and reach greater heights. 

Again, Comments are welcome and I would love to hear what you all would like to know about and if it is in my realm of knowledge, I would love to share it with you.  The next week or so of blogs will detail starting out in school and the challenges that I faced and how I succeeded and what some of my downfalls were. 

Jody

3 comments:

  1. Jody - Congrats on your blog! I will be following and wish you much success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to echo Jody's endorsement of Career Step! I had a wonderful experience. It was hard work but was so worth it! How many people can say they can't wait for work on Monday? Me! I love what I do! Keep up the great work, Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jody for the blog, I will be following you to get valuable words of wisdom! I just started Career Step on Nov. 12, so I have quite a bit ahead of me, but I am looking forward to the journey.

    ReplyDelete